Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Self-Reflection and "The Gambler"

Hey Friends,

I've not posted anything for awhile, because I've been weighted down with so many other low value things in my life. Things I'm reflecting on, even now, and letting go for high value activities like exchanging ideas with you. My inspiration tonight comes from a song called "The Gambler" that goes like this, "You've got to:


  1. Know when to hold'em,
  2. Know when to fold'em,
  3. Know when to walk away,
  4. Know when to run."

The "knowing", in Kenny's song, transcends gambling for me and speaks to the importance of self-knowledge and me walking out life's journey. Here's where I am:

HOLD'EM: Life is called a journey, because it requires a traveler's mindset. This mindset is created over years of lugging overweight, out-sized, and paying costly stowage fees is making me a bit more discriminating about what I pack on my life's journey.So, today, I sat down with my life-luggage and realized there's some heavy stuff in there that needs unpacking, like: anger, fear, regret, pride, etc.  This self-knowledge is helping me revisit what I'm holding and whether or not it is helping or hindering my life's journey toward an abundant, fulfilling existence.

FOLD'EM:  As I unpacked my life-luggage, there's some stuff that I must let go - now. Easier said than done, I've actually got a lot of emotional, financial, or political investments in some of this heavy stuff, which I've yet reconciled fully. However, a recent reminder from a dear friend quickly urged me to just drop most of it , because it's just getting in the way of doing great things - if it's not positive, I can't use it on my journey toward my best life ever!

WALK AWAY: Like most company help-desk teams, my heavier life-luggage items will no longer be supported, because they suck up operating capacity and take up too much space.  Those heavier items will be automatically moved to the trash can in the future!

RUNNING: Now, some of the things I've unpacked and moved into the trash can may try reboot, so I've planned on replacing those items with lighter, more useful applications, like: abundant living, sharing with others, forgiveness, confidence, caring, love, and the list goes on. Finally, I will run as far away from the heavy trash items and avoid putting them into my life-luggage, in the future.

How about you? What do you see in Kenny's lyrics and how you will engage self-knowledge, while walking out your life's journey?

Love to hear from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment