Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Sometimes, You Have to Break Up with Yourself

Hello Readers,
Neil Sedaka wrote a song called "Breaking Up is Hard to Do." He's talking about the pain he felt breaking up with the person he loves. It is equally hard breaking up with those parts of yourself that keep you down. It's really hard. It's hard realizing:
  • Life is living me instead of me living it
  • My comfort zone is a prison and I'm the jailer
  • My highest priority is not the highest priority of purpose for my life
  • I am seeking life's purpose, when it found me years ago and I denied it
  • And, the beat goes on.
Too often, we give life's circumstances carte blanche in shaping what we think, are, and do in life. Life is not our master. Life is a by-product of the choices, large and small, that we make that form the tree and fruits it bears in its season. A good life is the result of tough realizations, sound judgement, and hard work based on:
  • How deeply we invest thought - broadly and clearly into our life's choices
  • How well we researched and/or sought wisdom from trusted, learned advisors and God, to identify value gaps in our own thinking
  • How well we prepare ourself for success or recovery from failure
  • How effectively and consistently we shield our minds from negative people, thoughts, and actions
  • How consistently we act in our best interest instead of reacting to options, others, and outcomes
  • Finally, having an unwaivering willingness to change who, what, when, where, why, and how of those limiting life ways, so we can live authentically and successfully with ourselves and others

Yes, breaking up with our limiting life ways is hard to do. However, it is the only way to make room for a healthier, limitless, and authentic life. Do the hard work, plant a strong tree, and bear good fruit for yourself and others. And, don't forget about your unique gift/talent, which figures prominently in everything you do.

Live Well,

John

4 comments:

  1. John I think my struggle is being able to know with enough pre-cognition, which opportunities or options I should focus on. I find myself doing something that I think is positive, which ends up with mediocre result. I think if you look at your life as the final picture of a jigsaw puzzle and the actions as the individual pieces, you can then determine the value of your actions by seeing how close it gets you to completing the puzzle. The worst thing you can do is try to fit puzzle pieces from some other puzzle into your puzzle. Did I confuse it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...to live authentically and successfully with oneself and others! Can I just repeat that please...

    ...TO LIVE AUTHENTICALLY AND SUCCESSFULLY WITH ONESELF AND OTHERS. I believe this is one of the ultimate measures of faith in God... to be COMPLETELY who HE has made you to be and TRUST that he has and will place others in your life who will interact and connect with you AUTHENTICALLY!

    When we get out of our own way, God can do magnificent things... He really doesn't need our help... just our obedience!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gary,

    I think you've summed up the game with one exception. Consider running your plans past an all powerful, all knowing God, and know that his plan for you is hope and prosperity, which he effects in our lives - not us alone. This doesn't mean sitting back and waiting for the magic to happen, but in consultation with God, we can have discernment about where the pieces will go in our life plans.

    The scripture says, Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path.(Psalms 119:105 - New International Version) Slowing down this scripture, He must be in front of you to be a light, which brings us back to putting His plan ahead of our own...he can see tomorrow - we cannot.

    Thanks for your candid response, because we all grapple with the same thoughts and outcomes, when we don't let God in enough to effect right outcomes or help us see and recover from poor ones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Phoenix,

    You are the messenger for living authentically. It is visible in your life and work. As you design incredible, indelible, one of a kind wearable creations for people, you have a gift for seeing into them and expressing in their clothes your gift and their true selves. Your ability to live and be authentic is noteworthy.

    Thanks Phoenix,

    ReplyDelete